Google

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Ellipses

An ellipsis indicates an omission. However, spacing and punctuation guidelines of its usage are not clear. Hereafter until enlightened otherwise,

  • I will place both a space before and a space after an ellipsis within a sentence. Example: I will place … within a sentence.
  • I will retain whatever punctuation marks that precede or follow the omission for clarity and precision. Example: However, … clear.
  • I will insert a space after an ellipsis and then a period if the ellipsis occurs at the end of a sentence. Example: I will … .
  • If the words that precede an ellipsis constitute a grammatically complete sentence, I will place a period at the end of the last word and a space before the ellipsis. Example: I did. … I do.
  • I will place no space between an ellipsis and parentheses, brackets, or quotation marks. Example: (… it …)
When in doubt, I will not use ellipses.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home