Google

Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Lucid Confusion

It is interesting to read the different responses to my problem report.

Believing that newer is better, I installed the latest cygwin release on Sunday as soon as it became available. I first noticed the bug after lunch on Monday. I then carried out some tests to verify that it's a bug in the release. I was (wistfully) hoping that others would've complained because reporting a problem takes some efforts. To my surprise, I found no report on this bug in the cygwin mailing list till bedtime. Reluctantly, I sent my report. Within minutes, CGF politely requested details. I was more than happy to oblige. Almost instantly, I was admonished (by someone else) for my bad report. Feeling slighted, I went to sleep. After getting up this morning, I was delightfully surprised to learn that CGF had a possible fix. I immediately installed the latest snapshot. However, to my dismay, the bug remained. Trying to be a responsible user, I reported again. Since I was haphazard in filing the report, several people then discussed the nuances of how to report a problem, despite that CGF announced another fix!

Lesson: always follow the guidelines when collaborating.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home